Newlyweds: Making my Husband Gain Weight

Newlyweds: Making my Husband Gain Weight

Postby Whendeebare » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 am

Ok, so I want advice because I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I feel really guilty that my cooking is causing my husband's weight gain. So we got married in January, but we met my freshman year in university. When we met I was 40lbs lighter and he was very fit. A lot of muscle ;)...that was almost 7 years ago. He was very into fitness and I began joining him (more sporadically). Anyways, although I'd work out my eating habits were bad, and I gained the 40lbs during my 4 years in college. He studied abroad his junior year, where he was unable to workout at all, and I think he became depressed while away. Going abroad held him back a bit, so as his last year in college approached, he focused more on school-work and less on the gym. Forward to present time. This last year has been tough on us because I was in a car accident where I broke both legs and one arm. Point is, along with his new job and my recovery, he lost complete focus on the gym. Late February we got a gym membership, where we try to go five times a week, but usually go about twice a wk because his job takes up a lot of his time. When we do go, we weight train for an hour and alternate daily between upper body and lower body. I thought he was looking a little lighter since our wedding, but his family always comments that he is gaining weight and how I must be "feeding him well". It makes me feel so bad for him!! I'm fat, I know I am, but I know how hard he works at being fit and how much he cares about his health that it breaks my heart to hear his family tell us he's gaining weight. Especially when he works so hard to be where he was. Our meals are usually the same thing every week; boneless skinless chicken breast, ground beef/turkey, fish, pot roast for main with the occasional wheat bread sandwich...sides vary from frozen peas and carrots, Normandy blend vegetables, home-cooked rice, pinto beans, mashed or roasted potatoes. Breakfast is always four eggs between the two of us, with either chorizo, potatoes, or turkey bacon. Corn tortillas accompany every breakfast and many lunches and dinners. He has a mid morning snack of a banana and a granola bar daily. When he gets home from work he usually snacks on a small handful of either Tropical trail mix or dry roasted unsalted peanuts. We eat out about once a week. I don't see a giant problem with our eating aside from the amount of corn tortillas we consume, but his family's comments make me feel like I'm sabotaging my husband ='(. My weight fluctuates, but on average it is the same as the day we got married. I don't know about his weight because I don't ask, but he's about 20lbs heavier than when we met, I wouldn't know the difference in his weight from wedding day to now. If you see something wrong with the way we eat, please tell me so I can do my best change it! I really feel like a terrible wife..
Whendeebare

Re: Newlyweds: Making my Husband Gain Weight

Postby Cookie Monster » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm

All that I can see that is wrong is the carbs that are in every meal.Cut out on those and you'll see results.
Cookie Monster

Postby Whendeebare » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind! I also appreciate you reading my post, I know I write a lot lol xD
Whendeebare

Postby nathaly93 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 am

tortillas make you gain too much weight, I know because since my mom got cholesterol the Dr. said to eat less or no tortillaz. she eats 4-6 tortillas a day and she lost weight plus she walks everyday but she did that before she cut down on the tortillas. Portions are another part of gaining weight this days, you need to make sure that he doesn't eat too much if he is not going to be active.
nathaly93

Postby Whendeebare » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am

I can certainly agree that the tortillas might be an issue. After my post, I suggested cutting down on them, but he REALLY likes his tortillas -_-' I am gonna have to sabotage and just make them less available xP as for portion control, I can see how that may be a factor as well. When he was working out more he would get hungry very often, I'd see him and his friends eating plates of food. With the amount of calories they burned, they needed that. That is no longer the case since he doesn't burn as much. He doesn't eat more than one plate of food, but I do think he eats a little more than he should. I'll try to learn more about portion control, thank you for your advice!
Whendeebare

Postby Moosey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 am

Listen- when people marry they usually gain weight. I know I did- husband did, everyone I know did-Period. He's working, married, taking care of you at times? Going to gym 2x a week at least? In my experience people say this always to newly married men. Ohhh your wife is feeding you. Ohhhh you gained weight. It's like a right of passage. Is he upset or
Concerned about this? Or are you getting self conscious because you are hearing it. Enjoy your marriage and meals together- as long as you and he are happy who cares.
Moosey

Postby flopsy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 am

Moosey's right. Almost everyone I know (including myself) gained weight after marriage.
flopsy

Return to Fitness & Weight Loss