Speech delay. Turn 2 on Feb 2.

Parenting

Speech delay. Turn 2 on Feb 2.

Postby autumnstorey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am

Doctor google says my son is delayed in his speech (50 word vocabulary that you can understand and small 2 or 3 wor sentences) His actual doc said he might be delayed at his 18mo check up because he couldn't form 2 word sentences. He gave up the paci a few weeks ago. Got an upper respiratory infection that caused a stuffy nose so he couldn't suck on it anymore. Hasn't wanted it since. He can follow directions (go get your cup, leave that alone, do you want to hold your kitty). He's already started potty training (he just brings us his potty when he wants to use it, I still think he's to little to do it but he doesn't like wearing diapers anymore). He let's us know when hes hungry (childproof everything, he knocks on the cabinet door where his food is). He's communicating, just not speaking very much. His words:
Mama, dada, daddy, baby, big boy(new), boo, cat, kitty cat, nana (banana), why (I get this when we try for water), granddaddy, chico (the dog), cookie, oh sh*t (don't judge), oh yeah, woof, foofy (goofy) and we're working on quack and potato.
autumnstorey

Re: Speech delay. Turn 2 on Feb 2.

Postby Kati-91 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Don’t worry too much, boys are sometimes a bit later with whole sentences, especially if they are smart enough to know things work fine even if they don’t complete their sentence. Also how much screen time is involved in his life? Do you read to him?
Kati-91

Postby autumnstorey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm

We read as much as he will let us. Always wants to turn the page to fast to get a good look at the page. And we always keep cartoons on in the background but he doesn't pay any attention to it. Prefers to play with his toys instead.
autumnstorey

Postby Kati-91 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 pm

As I said, don’t worry too much. My son started 2 word sentences around 22 months old, he became bilingual at 8.5 years old about 1.5 years ago and now reads books in two languages, even more fluently in English (new language) than German. Just because he’s been late as a child doesn’t mean he’s going to have problems later. Maybe you can reduce the constant background sound of cartoons, it might not seem to affect him, but it could help if there’s no other sound distraction when you read or speak to him.
Kati-91

Postby flopsy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 am

I would turn off the tv for starters. It can have a bigger impact than one imagines. Read books, even if one only sits and points out the pictures. Flower, truck, horse, house, baby, and so on. He may have a favorite page and enjoy repeating the words after you. On a side note, I would give him some more time. He says a few words already, with time he'll hopefully add more. Children all develop at different paces. If he hasn't increased in vocabulary and speech by two and a half to three, I would worry.
flopsy

Postby autumnstorey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

He completely ignotes the tv unless a song catches his attention. His dad has ADD so we always have like 6 different things happening at once. SO can't function focusing one 1 thing. I think ds is the same (his toys play music and talk to him, has to have all of them playing at once)
autumnstorey

Postby autumnstorey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am

Had his 2 year check up. They said he had a speech delay because he can't form 2 and 3 word sentences or have a vocabulary of 200 words.
I'm not entirely sure how right this is. We are actually changing docs because we moved, hoping for a 2nd opinion. Gotta go back in 2 weeks because he got an ear infection and has to take antibiotics. He voices opinions but it's hard to understand if you aren't listening to him.
autumnstorey

Return to Parenting